Importing from Adobe Illustrator

Has anyone had any luck importing graphics from Adobe Illustrator into
Mathematica?

I saw some discussion about that here in August, but the verdict seemed
inconclusive.  On a Mac running Mathematica 5.0 and Adobe Illustrator
10, I've been able to import an EPS file generated by Illustrator, by
turning off the preview (no TIFF) and setting the version compatibility
way back to Illustrator 4.0.  Text in the graphic comes through pretty
messed up, though.  (Naturally, I want vector graphics.)

BTW, what I *really* want to do is take some Mathematica output, draw
little "callout" arrows and remarks around it, and put the result back
into a Mathematica notebook.  Is there some much superior way to do
this, that bypasses exporting and importing?

Ben Kovitz
Humboldt State University