Re: precision of a measurement (documentation related question)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61605] Re: precision of a measurement (documentation related question)
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 05:46:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To follow up, here is a function that people could use to compactly
enter in measurements and their (half) error range to obtain a number
in Mathematica that will have the appropriate significance attached to
it (no, I haven't really thought of handling complex numbers yet, but
I am sure someone smarter than myself could extend it).
Sig[x_,dx_]:=SetPrecision[x,-Log[10,Abs[dx/x]]]

Following my previous question:
Sig[30,0.5]
is the answer I was looking for earlier.

This Sig function could be combined with the Notation package to make
input even more tidy looking. One could also write a Notation to make
numbers with significance show error ranges by default...

Regards,