Re: Zero-based indexing option?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg61653] Re: Zero-based indexing option?
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:07:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

and what Part[] is the head of the expression ??
-1 ??

Great idea.

"Matt" <anonmous69 at> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:djhssu$sio$1 at
| Hello,
|  I am a C/C++ developer by trade and zero-based
indexing is the norm.
| When dealing with a set of objects, if I want to
iterate over all of
| them for some reason or another, I'm used to
doing something like this:
| unsigned int ii(0);
| while (ii < elementCount)
| {
|  // do something
|  ++ii;
| }
| where elementCount represents the number of
elements in a set of
| objects.  In Mathematica, I'm getting into the
habit of doing something
| like this:
| iterations = Length[(* of something *)] ;
| iterations++;
| ii = 1;
| While[ii <  iterations, (* do something *);
| As you can see, I need to initialize my iterator
to 1 and in order to
| keep strictly 'less than' semantics, I need to
increase the size of my
| object set by one.  This is not a big deal, and
if I have no other
| choice, I'll probably settle for setting the
iterator to one and using
| 'less than or equal' semantics for the loop
constraint so I'm not
| altering the size of the object set.
| However, it would be great if there were a
Mathematica option or code
| driven setting that would allow me to use
zero-based indexing.  Is