Re: JLink discover and link to an already running kernel from a Java App

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61651] Re: JLink discover and link to an already running kernel from a Java App
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:07:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

that would be a great idea. Say, you have an
Mathematica Kernel that
does a 3 week symbolic computation and during this time
several Java application connect to the kernel and hinder
it to do it's work.

Your Java application may create a link
and you can take a running kernel and tell the kernel
to connect to the link generated by your Java
application.

Regards
  Jens

"j michopoulos" <john.michopoulos at nrl.navy.mil>
schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:djd013$erb$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Another variation of my previous posting (see
below) can be expressed as
| follows:
|
| Is it possible to detect from within a Java app
if a Mathematica Kernel
| is already running and after that connect to it?
If yes, how?

| I would enormously appreciate it if somebody
could point me to an
| example or document that will shed some light on
this, or,
| alternatively, share his/her experience on the
subject.

| Thanks greatly,
|
| -john michopoulos
| ========================================
| John G. Michopoulos, Ph. D.
| Naval Research Laboratory,
| Center of Computational Material Science
| Special Projects Group, Code 6390.2
| Computational Multiphysics Systems Lab.
| 4555 Overlook Ave. SW, Washington DC 20375
| tel.202.767.2189
| e-mail: john.michopoulos at nrl.navy.mil
|
| j michopoulos wrote:
| > While one can use the ShareKernel[] call
within mathematica to share one
| > kernel with multiple front-ends as explained
in

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/mathlink/general/sharekernel.html,
| > I cannot find anywhere any info how to share a
kernel that was started
| > by one instance of a Java App front end via a
standard
| > MathLinkFactory.createKernelLink(...) call,
and then be discovered by
| > another application or instance of the
previous App to continue
| > expression evaluation under the original
kernel.

| > I have created Mathematica actors for the
Ptolemy-II system
| > (http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/)
that open and close the
| > kernel around the designated expression
evaluation for the purpose of
| > automating theory generation, but now I need a
variant of these actors
| > that exploit the same environment and that
requires that they both
| > access the same Kernel which makes it a
special case of he problem I
| > described in the previous paragraph.
| >
| > I would enormously appreciate any help along
these lines..