Question regarding Mathematica's treatment of whitespace

Hello,
  It seems that most of the time Mathematica ignores whitespace.  e.g. all of
the following evaluate with no problem:

Sin    [
Pi/2
]

Sin    [

Pi/2

]

However,

Sin
[Pi/2]

does not.  Is that just the way it is?  The reason I ask, is because I
would like to be able to use brackets '[,]' as I do braces in C/C++ to
help show the 'flow' of logic (within larger functions obviously), but
obviously Module[] doesn't work if it sees a cr/lf before the opening
bracket.

Thanks,

Matt