Re: inconsistency with Inequality testing and Floor

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> You cannot expect inexact numbers, particularly "borderline cases" as
> in this example, to obey the usual laws of arithmetic.

These inconsistencies are not inherent in computer arithmetic,
even floating-point arithmetic. They represent choices made by the
designers of Mathematica.  In particular, choosing to allow two
distinct numbers to be numerically equal leads to problems. I
wonder if there is some compensating good reason for this choice
in Mathematica. I am not aware of any reason good enough to
justify this.

Calling a bug a feature does not fix it.

RJF