PC Requirements for Mathematica

My buddy is a retired analyst. His son built him a PC w/ 3.0G Celeron CPU,
512MD RAM and Intel motherboard with 911 or 915 chipset.  For a new PC it
seems slow to me.

Questions:  does Mathematica require a math coprocessor?   What do you want in
a PC that's going to run Mathematica?
I don't know which  Mathematica functions he's going to use.

Mike