Re: Timed Notebooks for Student Take-home examinations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60368] Re: [mg60289] Timed Notebooks for Student Take-home examinations
  • From: Igor Antonio <igora at wolf-ram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 03:27:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm probably misunderstanding something, so correct me if I'm wrong:

the package would reside on the student's computer and it would generate
a notebook for the student to complete.  At the time the student
"requests" the notebook from your package, you write an encoded string
to the notebook itself that basically assigns it a timestamp.  Then the
student would upload/send you that notebook and you would decode that
string? (encoded string + time of upload = time spent) Is that the idea?

A student could simply request a notebook from the package twice, say
the second request 3 hours later.  He would complete the assignment,
open the notebook in any text editor and overwrite the encoded string
with the new timestamp.

I believe the best way to have this sort of thing is by having a system
(say a website) where you can keep track of when a file is downloaded
and uploaded and *you* keep track of the timestamps.  This obviously
deviates from your idea of creating a Mathematica package for that, but
that's what schools seem to use.

Like Chris mentioned, a web Mathematica application seems more
appropriate.  To prevent/diminish sharing of answers between students,
you'd setup a web Mathematica application that required user
authentication. Then, you'd be generate problems with different "initial
values" for each student (or groups of students, whatever).

Igor

--

Igor C. Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.