Re: probability with simulation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg60507] Re: probability with simulation
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 04:45:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 9/18/05 at 1:15 AM, ma_sara177 at (Sara) wrote:

>I have a problem with probability. I have to solve a problem av
>probability with simulation. i have done it with the combinatorial
>method but I dont know how to use Mathematica to solve the problem
>with simulation. can any one Help me please. If you want my result
>with combinatorial method or my try with simulation I can email
>you. the problems are:

>1)Find the probability of getting exactly two 1:s when throwing 5
>dices. Solve this problem with the combinatorial method and by

From what you say above, I assume the difficulty is with the Mathematica code rather than the problem itself.

I can simulate a single die with

So a set of five dice could be represented as

Table[Random[Integer, {1,6}],{5}]

using Count to count the number of 1's in each simulate toss of 5 dice you get the following;

Finally if I wanted to simulate 1000 rolls of the 5 simulated dice and count just the number of times exactly two 1's appeared, I could do it as

    Count[Table[Random[Integer, {1, 6}], {5}], 1],