  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg60676] Spaklines
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:55:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Edward Tufte has a bulletin board that may be of interest to readers of
MathGroup. See

or (if you are using a Broswer that supports RSS)

In particular, I found the entry on Spaklines most interesting:

Clearly Mathematica Notebooks are an excellent environment for producing
sparklines, and incorporating them into text cells as inline images (or
even text in a special font). In the "Production methods" section, Tufte
implicitly makes a good case for using Mathematica and especially
Notebooks -- though that was not his intention.

I am thinking of running an item on Sparklines in The Mathematica
Journal and would appreciate input from MathGroup. I am looking for nice
simple code for producing sparklines from data, along with annotations,
binary "whisker plots", tables of sparklines (using GridBoxes) etc.

Also, now that one can Import[] directly from URLs, sparkline graphics
could be updated by using a Button that will import the latest data and
create the new graphic.

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)