Re: Bug in Mathematica ?

On 9/28/05 at 1:41 AM, toto at truc.com (Bidule) wrote:

>I've computed the following two expressions:

>Integrate[Max[x, y], {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]
>NIntegrate[Max[x, y],{x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]

>which result in very different numbers. When I calculate the
>integral by hand I get (2/3).

>Any thoughts ? I guess by now it's probably a known bug. (or maybe
>even a 'feature').

You didn't say what version you are using nor did you show what output you get. As for me,

In[1]:=
$Version
Out[1]=
"5.2 for Mac OS X (June 20, 2005)"

In[2]:=
Integrate[Max[x, y], {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]
Out[2]=
2/3

In[3]:=
NIntegrate[Max[x, y], {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]
Out[3]=
0.6666666666666666

These are clearly consistent