Re: Strange Det function behavior

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65474] Re: Strange Det function behavior
  • From: bsyehuda at gmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 06:59:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
This has nothing to do with the fact that you are running on celeron.
It seems that the problem is at the accuracy of the floating numbers
generated by the random number generator (RNG).
If you are willing to overcome this just try
 f[x_Integer] := Det[ Table[ Random[Integer,{0,1000000}]/1000000*t + i/j,
and then it will work with infinite precision.
Then N[f[12]] (or any other index) will give you good results.
You can also change the one milion that I used with another number (I also
tried 100000000 with very good results).
Remember that Mathematicas RNG for integers is different from the RNG for
floats (reals).
regards
yehuda