graphic inside a gridbox

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65505] graphic inside a gridbox
  • From: "Christopher Arthur" <pannoniara at aol.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 06:56:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

How can I generate as output a table which has a graphic in one or two cells?
Ideally, I want something like a 5x5 table, where say two 2x2 subtables are
replaced by two graphics.
I figure that I have to do to something clever with putting gridboxes inside
 of gridboxes, but at the moment my problem is with the graphics....I tried
something like this, but it doesn't work, and I don't know why:

DisplayForm[GridBox[{....,Cell[GraphicsData["PostScript",DisplayString[MyGraphics]]]}]

I just see the postscript code for the graphic stuck in that particular cell
 of the table.

Before I get too deep into this, though, I'm wondering on a larger level if
I should even bother.  The eventual goal is to have in some book format, a list of these tables, with each table a small picture with text as specified
above, and basically there will be thousands of such little tables arranged
in some sequence.

I don't know if I should just try to do all the graphics and table formattin
g in TeX and related packages, or if I could actually make a nice looking reference book using mathematica alone for typesetting.  The problem is that if I spend a lot of time on perfecting my tables in Mathematica, they probably wont convert easily to TeX anyway, so I might as well just use TeX with MetaPost and the various tabular environments there.

Chris