Re: graphic inside a gridbox

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg65586] Re: graphic inside a gridbox
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 04:54:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Christopher Arthur wrote:
> Hi,
> How can I generate as output a table which has a graphic in one or two cells?
> Ideally, I want something like a 5x5 table, where say two 2x2 subtables are
> replaced by two graphics.
> [...]
> Before I get too deep into this, though, I'm wondering on a larger
> level if  I should even bother. The eventual goal is to have in some book
> format, a list of these tables, with each table a small picture with
> text as specifiedabove, and basically there will be thousands of such little tables
> arranged  in some sequence.
> I don't know if I should just try to do all the graphics and table
> formatting in TeX and related packages, or if I could actually make a nice
> looking reference book using mathematica alone for typesetting.

Have you looked into using AuthorTools and BilateralCell? You can put
text in one half of the cell and a graphic in the other. For an example,
have a look at this year's Vermont High School Prize Examination, which
was typeset entirely in Mathematic (and converted to a PDF for posting
on the web).

The questions that include graphics were all done as bilateral cells.

An easy way to make bilateral cells is with the OpenAuthorTools palette.

Helen Read
University of Vermont