Re: graphic inside a gridbox

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65586] Re: graphic inside a gridbox
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 04:54:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Christopher Arthur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I generate as output a table which has a graphic in one or two cells?
> Ideally, I want something like a 5x5 table, where say two 2x2 subtables are
> replaced by two graphics.
> [...]
> Before I get too deep into this, though, I'm wondering on a larger
> level if  I should even bother. The eventual goal is to have in some book
> format, a list of these tables, with each table a small picture with
> text as specifiedabove, and basically there will be thousands of such little tables
> arranged  in some sequence.
>
> I don't know if I should just try to do all the graphics and table
> formatting in TeX and related packages, or if I could actually make a nice
> looking reference book using mathematica alone for typesetting.

Have you looked into using AuthorTools and BilateralCell? You can put
text in one half of the cell and a graphic in the other. For an example,
have a look at this year's Vermont High School Prize Examination, which
was typeset entirely in Mathematic (and converted to a PDF for posting
on the web).

http://www.cems.uvm.edu/~kost/web06/test_06.nb.pdf

The questions that include graphics were all done as bilateral cells.

An easy way to make bilateral cells is with the OpenAuthorTools palette.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont