MathKernel closes on me

[This post has been delayed due to email problems - moderator]

Recently Mathematica stopped functioning. When I try to evaluate an
expression in Mathematica 5.1 I get the following message: "MathKernel has a
problem and must be closed". The title bar then shows "Running...Untitled-1"
and when I close the notebook I get the following message: "The notebook
"Untitled-1" contains a running evaluation". The evaluation can not be
aborted.

I have tried to reinstall Mathematica to no avail.

I have had the same problem with Mathematica Calculation Center 3.

Has anyone got an explanation for this?

Regards,

Oddur