Re: adding matrices

>if i type m-p, mathematica treats the second matrix p as a scalar and subtracts that entire 3x3
>matrix p from each entry of m

If m and p have the same dimensions then Mathematica will subtract (or
add) entry-by-entry the way you want.  You might want to clarify what
you mean by "subtracts [a matrix] from each 3x3 entry m" because that's
a little unclear; better, post your code so we can see what's
happening.

--

In[8]:=
m=Array[Random[Integer,{-10,10}]&,{3,3}]

Out[8]=

Out[9]=
{{1,9,5},{-3,-10,9},{9,5,6}}

In[10]:=