command line question

Hi, I'm trying to execute Mathematica (5.2 on Windows) from the command
line via another program, but I'm having a hard time finding a way that
would just run a command, then exit.  Can this be done?

Even if I could just read my argument from a file and write it to
another would be fine...just as long as it gives the result, the exits.

Thanks,

Jason