Re: solving a set of inequalities

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg65953] Re: [mg65910] solving a set of inequalities
  • From: gardyloo <gardyloo at>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:02:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi, Reiro,

  I'm not quite sure of the connection between x, y, and z, and a, b, c.
If these are indeed separate, then the last equation has no influence on
the solution of the first two equations. In that case, you may do

InequalitySolve[(3a+5b+9c > 6a+6b+8c) && (3a+5b+9c > a+5b+12c), {a,b,c}]

which yields your answer.

If, instead, the set {x,y,z} is the SAME as {a,b,c}, then put your last
equality in in the same way, and you'll get a more restrictive set of

     Hope that helps!

             Curtis O.

reiro wrote:
> I'll be grateful if you tell me how to solve this set of inequalities in
> mathematica. I've been looking in the help file but it returns an error
> and I don't know how to sort it oout.
> I need to solve this set:
> 3*a + 5*b + 9*c > 6*a + 6*b + 8*c
> 3*a + 5*b + 9*c > a + 5*b + 12*c