Illusory Multicore Support in 5.2?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66000] Illusory Multicore Support in 5.2?
  • From: "Contrablue" <tetraploidhybrid at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 04:38:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Greetings,

One of the reasons I upgraded to Mathematica 5.2 was to enjoy the
benefits of multicore support.  However, despite my running 5.2 on a
Windows XP x64  dual Opteron system, I have yet to see evidence that
more than one kernel thread runs in parallel (the evidence, on my
system, would be to see processor utilization rise above 50% while only
the Mathematica kernel was active).  This is despite trying quite a few
evaluations of code that "should" -- according Wolfram documentation --
initiate parallel execution on my system (numerical dot products, etc.)

Please note, my system fully supports true multithreaded execution on
two CPUs, as evidenced by 100% CPU utilization on relevant Sandra
benchmarks and on the new multithreaded POV-Ray releases for AMD64.

Has anyone verified multithreaded kernel operation of Mathematica 5.2
on a dual processor Windows platform?  If so, could you post a snippet
of your Mathematica expressions here?

Thanks much!