Re: error function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66006] Re: error function
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 04:38:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

ann wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>  I would be greatful if someone can help me with the following
> problem..
>

> i have a task of integrating a complicated funtion  which upon
> execution gives the result with Erf[] how to get it solved.
>
> To say the problem in detail , i have to do the following operation
>
> Integrate[ (F^2 + C*G^2 ) * Real part of (F*complex conjugate of F *
> exp(I*theta) ] with the limits [-infinity to infinity] where F and G
> are of the form
>
> F=x1 * exp{ (-(t-x2)^2/x3^2 + i/2 * x4(t-xc) + i x4* (t-xc) + i x5 and
> g is of the same form with x replaced with y.
>
> now this results in the erf[of another complicated function]
>
> how to get it solved..or to how should i help mathematica to get it
> completely solved??
>
> expecting suggestions
>
> thankyou in advance
>
> ann.

Hello,

Erf is just another special function - like Sin or Exp - it makes no
sense to ask for the result to be "completely solved". You can always
plug numbers into the result, of course, and Mathematica will evaluate
Erf just as well as it will evaluate Sin!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk