MathGroup Archive 2006

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Where do I put my own add-on packages?

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66001] Re: Where do I put my own add-on packages?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 04:38:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 4/25/06 at 5:18 AM, J.A.Solomon at city.ac.uk (Solomon, Joshua)
wrote:

>On 24/4/06 11:21, in article e2i8qu$9bm$1 at smc.vnet.net, "Bill Rowe"
><readnewsciv at earthlink.net> wrote:

>>The directory you suggested above is within the Mathematica package.

>No. As you say,

You specifically wrote:

Then, in the applications folder, ctrl-click the Mathematica icon and
select Show Package Contents.

Anything you modify in this directory is a modification of something that gets overwritten by a normal install under Mac OS X. As I mentioned, modifying these files will work. But it will increase the complexity of any upgrade installation.

The recommended procedure is to change the files in ~/Library/Mathematica. Those files are always available to any Mathematica installation on OS X you have access to and never get overwritten by a normal install process.

As far as backing up files under OS X, you really should back up ~/Library as failure to do so can literally means hours of work to get custom settings restored. Additionally, modifying files within the Mathematica package means you now have to back them up if you are to quickly and easily restore your preferred working environment.

But everyone is free to adopt what ever procedure they like. It truly doesn't matter to me if you choose a procedure that has the potential of greatly increasing the effort needed to restore things. My only point in responding is to make others aware of the potential costs of modifying files within the Mathematica package under OS X.
--
To reply via email subtract one hundred and four

• Prev by Date: Re: A bug in ListPlot3D ?
  • Next by Date: Compile&Which
  • Previous by thread: Re: Where do I put my own add-on packages?
  • Next by thread: machine precision in plot