Calling .exe with Arguments - Run[] Issue

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66032] Calling .exe with Arguments - Run[] Issue
  • From: Shyam Guthikonda <shyamguth at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 02:26:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ugh.. I've spent the past couple hours trying to figure this out. No
luck in the archives either.

This works (Windows XP, Mathematica 5.2), passing the string OK as the
first argument to the C program:

Run[ InputForm[ folderName<>"\\"<>exeName ], "OK" ];

This does not work:

Run[ InputForm[ folderName<>"\\"<>exeName ], "\"OK\"" ];

What I am trying to do in the 2nd example is pass "OK" (with the quotes)
as the first argument to the C program. This is needed, because this
argument will have spaces in it, so it must be wrapped in quotes to be
passed as a single argument.

The first command passed to Run[] is a directory name (with spaces) with
an .exe name concatenated on the end. This first command is surrounded
in quotes, and this works just fine. But the minute I add quotes the 2nd
argument, it seems to be ignoring the quotes around the first command;
It hits a space in the first command and spits out an unrecognized error.

This is odd because the output provided by InputForm[] is correct. If I
type the output directly in the DOS command window, it works as it's
supposed to, but not so in Mathematica.

An example of the text provided to me by InputForm[] which works
perfectly in the DOS console is:

 > "C:\\test dir\\prog.exe" "C:\\arg dir"

What's going on?

Thanks for any help!