2D/3D plots scaled to unit of dimension

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66089] 2D/3D plots scaled to unit of dimension
  • From: liu at vtaix.cc.vt.edu (Xiangdong Liu)
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 03:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am making 2D and 3D plots that depicts geographic events.  The units in
each dimension x, y, and z are the same, say meters.  A plot may show 10
unis in one dimension and 2 units in another.  When I make the plot,
Mathematica chooses its automatic aspect ratio.  The result is such that
a unit in the dimension with 3 units shown to be longer than a unit in the
dimension with 10 units.  Of course I can change the aspect ratio to be 3/10
(or 10/3 depending on which dimension has more units of content).

My question is if I can make Mathematica plot with an aspect ratio that
preserves the unit of length in all dimensions, automatically.  If such
setting exists, will it be different for 3D plots?

As an specific example, let's say I want to plot the following:

Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}];

How do I make Mathematica preserve the unit of length by displaying the
plot with the 1/5 aspect ratio automatically?

Thanks!