Two strange problems with a notebook...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68474] Two strange problems with a notebook...
  • From: "Giacomo Ciani" <giacomo.ciani at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 01:40:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I'm been working on a Mathematica book for a lot of time, modifying it
often and changing cell division and so on, and saving every time the
modified version to a new file (as for now, I'm at "version 23").

In the last versions, I'm experiencing two strange problems:

1) There is a line in a cell that is something like this:

myPath= "c:\myFolder"

When I evaluate the cell, the message windows shows the error (I'm
reporting a cut->paste form the message window):

The string '"' cannot be displayed with ShowStringCharacters->False due
to an error in the string.

Observing the first double quote, I can notice that the space around it
is unusual. Deleting a retyping it fixes the problem, but the next time
I open (obviously after fixing and saving) the nb the problem is still
there...

2) After some initialization cells, I have the main cell that does few
operations and then  to perform two nested loops to calculate a
simulation (one loop over several particles and one loop over the
bounces each particle performs). In the last versions of the nb, if I
evaluate the cell as is (after evaluating all the other cells),
mathematica just skip to the end of the cell without actually exectuing
any of the instruction in the cell.
To fix this, it suffices that I modify the cell adding and deleting a
carachter at any position... then I can evaluate the cell correctly.
As before, fixing and saving doesn't solve the problem, that is there
the next time I opne the nb...

I also tried to copy all the cells to a new nb, but with no success...

Any Idea about all this?

Thanks a lot

Giacomo