Re: No output or In[n] prompt appearing

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg68700] Re: [mg68648] No output or In[n] prompt appearing
  • From: Bruce Miller <brucem at>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 04:18:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 06:44:28AM -0400, alireza.amirkhizi at wrote:
> I have this weird problem. When I enter anything as simple as
> 2+2
> and shift+Enter, there is no error or anything. It seems that the cell
> is evaluated, but nothing shows up, not even the In[1] prompt. I do not
> know what to check or where to look. All help is very much appreciated.
> alirezA.

Quick test: hold down the SHIFT key as Mathematica launches.

Other diagnostic tests are machine-dependent.

Does the Mathematica kernel by itself run?
  Unix/Linux:  run "math" at a command prompt.
  Windows: Start menu - Programs - Mathematica v.v - Mathematica v.v Kernel.
  Macintosh: Control click on /Applications/Mathematica,
     chose "Show Package Contents",
     burrow down Contents/ and MacOS/,
     double click on MathKernel.
Sometimes messages from the kernel are not passed up through the front end.

Feel free to send the results to support at, Attn: Bruce.
Include the Mathematica and operating system versions.  The License Number
(Ldddd-dddd) might be useful, too.

Bruce Miller
Technical Support
Wolfram Research, Inc.