Re: solve differential equation problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68840] Re: solve differential equation problem
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 03:27:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

elvis wrote:
> Here we often use mathematica to solve differential equations, when I
> encouter a equation with several constrains I set them to those values.
> But it cannot solve it and have the following warnings:
>
>     DSolve::deqx: Supplied equations are not differential equations of
> the given functions.
>
> Give a very simple differential equation here:
>
>   DSolve[{y'[x] == r*y[x], y[0] == a}, y, x]
>
> Can anyone help to "solve" this problem for me?
> Thanks!

Some of the symbols y, x, r, a must have been define to some values
before you try to solve your differential equation. Restart the kernel
or start a fresh session and try again. I had no problem on my system:

DSolve[{Derivative[1][y][x] == r*y[x], y[0] == a}, y, x]

--> {{y -> Function[{x}, a*E^(r*x)]}}

HTH,
Jean-Marc