Help !! problems with symbolize

Hi!
I created a new symbol with symbolize. Say

\!\(\*
  RowBox[{"Symbolize", "[",
    TagBox[\(γ\_ion\),
      NotationBoxTag,
      TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"], "]"}]\)

In plain english it meant gamma_ion    where ion was in a subscript

what i want to do is:

gamma_ion = 2

g= gamma_ion  + 6

my answer here is always in terms of gamma_ion but the value is never
substituted. I get a

Set::write : Tag NotationBoxTag in  ... is Protected error !!!

how do i do this !!! I have tried in mathematica 4 & 5