Re: reading all the files in one directory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68926] Re: reading all the files in one directory
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:15:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 8/22/06 at 5:20 AM, s.figueiredo at biologie.hu-berlin.de (Ana Sofia
Figueiredo) wrote:

>Could anyone please tell me how can a read all the files in one
>directory?

Assuming the working directory is set to the directory containing the files then

ReadList[#,String]&/@FileNames[]

will read all of the files. But given

>I have to read around 60 files with odd names.

I don't think you will find the output very useful. In fact, while I do use Mathematica extensively, I do not believe it is an efficient tool for browsing files for content. With Mac OS X, the file browser window of BBEdit is far more efficient for this purpose.