Re: Help !! problems with symbolize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68911] Re: Help !! problems with symbolize
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:15:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

mintoo wrote:
> Hi!
> I created a new symbol with symbolize. Say
>
> \!\(\*
>   RowBox[{"Symbolize", "[",
>     TagBox[\(γ\_ion\),
>       NotationBoxTag,
>       TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"], "]"}]\)
>
> In plain english it meant gamma_ion    where ion was in a subscript
>
> what i want to do is:
>
> gamma_ion = 2
>
> g= gamma_ion  + 6
>
> my answer here is always in terms of gamma_ion but the value is never
> substituted. I get a
>
> Set::write : Tag NotationBoxTag in  ... is Protected error !!!
>
> how do i do this !!! I have tried in mathematica 4 & 5

Needs["Utilities`Notation`"]
Symbolize[NotationBoxTag[\"\[Gamma]\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]ion\"]]

\[Gamma]\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]ion = 2
returns 2

g = \[Gamma]\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]ion + 6
returns 8

Using the 'Notation Palette' is the less troublesome way to create a
symbol. Load the Utilities`Notation` package first. Enter, then, your
variable in an empty cell. Select the whole name and click on the button
labeled 'Symbolize' within the 'Notation Palette'. You are all set!

HTH,
Jean-Marc