MathGroup Archive 2006

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

General--Difficulties in Understanding Mathematica Syntax

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68908] General--Difficulties in Understanding Mathematica Syntax
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:15:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Mathematica Experts,

Sorry for a lengthy query.

I am new to Mathematica. The syntax of mathematica is quite different from other programming languages.
I am confused how to use loops like "If",FOR;DO;...

Here i am giving details of a problem i want to solve. I made an attempt to solve this. Please go thru it and give me necessary corrections.

Here i am giving the details:
P = 10.3;l = 0.45mm;T = 0.9;r0 = 0.025mm;d = 0.1643mm;
r[xk_, yk_] := (Sqrt[(x - xk)^2 + (y - yk)^2]); 
Intensity[xk_, yk_] := (P/(2*Pi*r[xk, yk]*l))*T^(r[xk, yk] - r0); 
Imoy=[Integrate[Intensity[xk, yk]],{xk, 0.1, -0.1}, {yk, 0.1, -0.1}] ;
Print[Imoy]

Then i am getting some value, which is not the correct one. 
How to check the output for each step in Mathematica(for example: if i want to find out the values of "r", In C language i can use Printf statement to print the values of "r" for each xk,yk)

And if i want to evaluate the "Intensity[xk_, yk_] " depending on a condition (say: r[xk,yk]<d) [I think it can be done by using IF statement, but i have no clue how to use the IF statement in MATHEMATICA].

Please help me by providing some advices.

It would be better if one can provide me some examples., or documentation which contains some solved examples in Mathematica.

Thanks in advance.

Link to the forum page for this post:
http://www.mathematica-users.org/webMathematica/wiki/wiki.jsp?pageName=Special:Forum_ViewTopic&pid=12943#p12943
Posted through http://www.mathematica-users.org [[postId=12943]]

• Prev by Date: Re: Re: Trigonometric simplification
  • Next by Date: Re: Re: Trigonometric simplification
  • Previous by thread: Re: How to handle Arrays that has functional parameters:
  • Next by thread: Re: General--Difficulties in Understanding Mathematica Syntax