Can't Remove variable "K"? (Really strange behavior . . . )
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg69131] Can't Remove variable "K"? (Really strange behavior . . . )
- From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
- Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:35:23 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Stanford University
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
For years I've started every notebook with the input line
so every calculation will start more or less "fresh". Recently a
calculation exhibited weird behavior involving a variable "K", which
didn't seem to get removed or cleared by Remove. I eventually boiled
this down to a simple free-standing 5 Input cell notebook as follows:
There are no symbols matching "Global`*". More?
K is a default generic name for a summation index in a symbolic
K = 0.6
1) This is on a Mac iBook G4, OS 10.3.9, Mathematica 184.108.40.206.
2) Each single-indent line is an Input cell; double-indent lines are
Output cells. Behavior repeats the same after re-typing all the cells
into a fresh notebook; after quitting and re-starting Mathematica; after
shutting down and restarting the Mac.
3) I appreciate that user variables preferably start with lower case --
but other single-cap-letter symbol names work OK, and doing Help on "K"
brings up nothing special associated with K by itself.
[And by the way, how can one select a sequence of cells in a notebook
and copy all their contents -- including error msgs -- to paste in as
above, without having to retype most of the stuff?)
Prev by Date:
Re: generalized foldlist problem
Next by Date:
Re: Minor gripe re Table formatting
Previous by thread:
Re: Errors in Mathematica
Next by thread:
Re: Can't Remove variable "K"? (Really strange behavior . . . )