Re: Can't Remove[] variable "K"? (Really strange behavior . . . )

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69140] Re: Can't Remove[] variable "K"? (Really strange behavior . . . )
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 04:38:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

and looking for
?K
you see that there is already a K in the System`
context, probably by
an error and you have to remove Remove["System`K"]

Regards
  Jens

"AES" <siegman at stanford.edu> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:ed3shk$s6m$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| For years I've started every notebook with the
input line

|   x; Remove["Global`*"];
|
| so every calculation will start more or less
"fresh".  Recently a
| calculation exhibited weird behavior involving a
variable "K", which
| didn't seem to get removed or cleared by
Remove[].   I eventually boiled
| this down to a simple free-standing 5 Input cell
notebook as follows:

|   x; Remove["Global`*"];
|   K=0.6;
|   Remove["Global`*"];
|         Remove::"rmnsm"
|         There are no  symbols matching
"Global`*".   More?
|         0.6
|   ??K
|         K is a default generic name for a
summation index in a symbolic
|         sum.
|         K = 0.6
|
| Notes:
|
| 1)  This is on a Mac iBook G4, OS 10.3.9,
Mathematica 5.1.0.0.

| 2)  Each single-indent line is an Input cell;
double-indent lines are
| Output cells.  Behavior repeats the same after
re-typing all the cells
| into a fresh notebook; after quitting and
re-starting Mathematica; after
| shutting down and restarting the Mac.
|
| 3)  I appreciate that user variables preferably
start with lower case --
| but other single-cap-letter symbol names work
OK, and doing Help on "K"
| brings up nothing special associated with K by
itself.

| [And by the way, how can one select a sequence
of cells in a notebook
| and copy all their contents -- including error
msgs -- to paste in as
| above, without having to retype most of the
stuff?)