Re: Re: Using subscripts in function-parameter names

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71904] Re: [mg71756] Re: Using subscripts in function-parameter names
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 06:26:19 -0500 (EST)

After Maxim helped me (I was missing the HoldComplete), I came up with
a way to dynamically symbolize subscripted input for selected symbols.
This should do what you want. Here is the code:

With[{usc=FromCharacterCode[63316]},
    subscriptAsSymbol[symb_Symbol]:=
      With[{symbStr=ToString@symb},
        MakeExpression[SubscriptBox[symbStr,scriptStrs__String],format_]:=
          MakeExpression[SubscriptBox[symbStr,scriptStrs],format]=
            With[{symbWithSub=
                  ToExpression[
                    ToString@
                      BoxForm`Intercalate[SequenceForm[symbStr,scriptStrs],
                        usc],format]},
              MakeBoxes[symbWithSub,_]=SubscriptBox[symbStr,scriptStrs];
              HoldComplete@symbWithSub]]];

Execute the above definition once. Then, on any variable for which you
want to invoke the symbolized subscripting, issue
subscriptAsSymbol@variable

In your case, this would be subscriptAsSymbol@x

By the way, I would recommend keeping code and typesetting a little
more separated in the future...

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/