Re: A serious error?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71912] Re: [mg71888] A serious error?
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 06:26:42 -0500 (EST)

On 12/2/06, Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
> But Mathematica is definitely not corrupted. The proof is that it
> works fine if the startup disk is an external disk. As I wrote:
> exactly the same copy works fine if I boot form an external drive and
> crashes on startup if I boot form my internal one. Moreover,
> immediately after the problem occured I deleted Mathematica from my
> internal hard drive and copied it again from the installation disk.
> This has made no difference though.

I misread. I thought you had two copies of Mathematica 5.1. You
actually appear to have two copies of your entire system. Is that
correct?

> > Also, you may want to look into using a source code repository - I use
> > subversion.
>
> Subversion of course would explain it. In fact I have been expecting
> something like this since they poisoned Litvinenko -- (I am sorry,
> this Mathematica problem must have affected my sense of humor - I
> actually have no idea what you mean by "source code repository").

I'm dying from laughing over here. ;)

A code repository helps you keep your files freshly backed up (without
costing a lot of space) and also allows you to manage multiple
versions of your code quite easily. In addition, it is possible to
look at older versions of your programs by telling the repository what
revision you want.

Here is a quick description for the subversion book:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.intro.html#svn.intro.whatis

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/