Making plots using transformation rules

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71928] Making plots using transformation rules
  • From: amannuc at yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 06:39:04 -0500 (EST)

I've read about making plots of functions, for example:

Plot[Evaluate[f[x]], {x, 0, 10}]

I don't have this sort of function to plot. Because it involves
derivatives, I only get numerical output after defining a
transformation rule. A simple example (not the real one) is the
following:

g[t_] := D[t^2, t]
g[t] /. t -> 1

I cannot evaluate g[1], because then Mathematica thinks I am trying to
take a derivative with respect to the number 1, and flags that as
error. So I need the transformation rule to get function values.

What is the best way to plot g[t]? I am looking to create multiple
transformation rules that replace the argument t with a reasonable
range of values. Then I can plot g[t] versus t. Plot will not do this
directly because it takes variable values as input. However, as I've
said, the construction g[x] (x = some number) flags an error.

Thanks for your help.