RE: Mathematica video output without printing frames

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72193] RE: [mg72128] Mathematica video output without printing frames
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 05:49:08 -0500 (EST)

Ed,

It's not possible to have an animation in a notebook without producing the
individual graphic cells in the notebook. If you paste the following code in
the same cell as the statement that produces the animation frames it will
automatically select all the graphic cells, close them up so only one cell
is displayed, and then start the animation. It also allows you to exert some
control on the animation. The first argument in FrontEnd`SelectionAnimate is
the number of seconds to run the animation. For those who have DrawGraphics,
the 'A' button on the DrawGraphics Palette will paste in these commands.

SelectionMove[EvaluationNotebook[], All, GeneratedCell]
FrontEndTokenExecute["OpenCloseGroup"]; Pause[0.5];
FrontEndExecute[{FrontEnd`SelectionAnimate[200, AnimationDisplayTime -> 0.1,
      AnimationDirection -> Forward]}]

This does not stop you from seeing the individual cells being produced, but
I do not find that a bad thing since it does tell me how the production of
the frames is progressing and gives a preview of the animation.

By the way, a good way to view many animations is to use the up/down arrow
keys to single step through the animation.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: eddie.long at gmail.com [mailto:eddie.long at gmail.com]

Hi,

At the moment my Mathematica notebook ouputs 100 frames which I then
have to either double click to see the animation or save as a Quicktime
movie.

I'd like it if either the notebook gave an animated output (and
supressed printing of all the individual frames) or automatically
exported the frames to a movie file, again without printing them in the
notebook.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Ed Long