creating dirac bra-ket notations in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72261] creating dirac bra-ket notations in Mathematica
  • From: "CIHAN NADIR KAPLAN" <CIKAPLAN at ku.edu.tr>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 06:20:02 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I'm using Mathematica 5.0 on WinXP and trying to create dirac bra-ket notations in Mathematica, according to the instructions in the document: http://documents.wolfram.com/v5/Demos/Notebooks/NewNotations.html

In the document,  the line "In[53]:=" works well, but I want that a number and operator commutes just like at the line In[65]:=.
Even though I enter the commands in "In[57]" and "In[59]" , numbers and operators don't commute,  and this leads to non-acting operators when there is a number between a ket and the operator.

Is there something missing in "In[57]" and "In[59]", or is there an alternative, compact way to get noncommutative behaviour (noncommutativemultiply gives error when using with In[40] )  ?

By the way, should I set a different preference from edit->preferences in order to make the commands in the document fully functional? (e.g. when I write Ket[\psi] and call a function, there is no problem, but when I try to input in the bra-ket notation like |psi> using aliases defined here, it gives errors like

Syntax::sntxi: Incomplete expression; more input is needed

)

Nevertheless, I have succesfully come to In[56], but the  inputs after [56] are troublesome. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Nadir