decrementing problem

Hi,
I am having a really difficult time with decrementing values in my For
loop. I have tried i--, --i, i-=1, i=i-1, and nothing is working. The loop
is as follows:
For[i=n-1, i<=1, i--, summ=0;
   For[j=i+1, j<=n, j++, summ=summ + U[[i,j]]*X[[j]]]
]
When I try to print i or j, nothing shows up.
Can anyone please help?

Thank you in advance,
Jamie