Re: Limit and Root Objects

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72321] Re: Limit and Root Objects
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 05:42:32 -0500 (EST)

I forgot to add that the argument below shows that continuous "root
objects" can't be constructed over the space of all complex
polynomials of a fixed degree. If we consider only real polynomials,
e.g. only real cubics (which is what I was doing in my original post
in this thread) then the situation is quite different: indeed it is
quite obvious that a continuous section exists and can be defined by
using the function Piecwise to combine different root objects.
However, it is impossible to extend this section continuously to all
cubics with complex coefficients.

Andrzej Kozlowski