programming problem about elements taken

Dear all,
  I have a list of numbers (A),in fact, they are numbers distributed
over [0,1].  Given parameter \epsilon, I have to choose elements from A
such that their distances are larger than \epsilon, so the elements are
"distringuishable". My goal is to find the maximum number of elements
from A to meet the above "distinct criterion".
  How to do it with the functions build-in in mathematica ??
  Thanks in advence.           Sincerely           Barrow