Re: Re: String Input and Variable Setting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64168] Re: [mg64119] Re: String Input and Variable Setting
  • From: ggroup at sarj.ca
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 01:03:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks for the interesting comments.  Please see my responses below.

On Thursday, February 2, 2006 at 12:05 AM, Bghiggins wrote:

> Have you though about using webMathematica. All the coding for passing
> user info (usually as ASCII text) to a Mathematica kernel is built in
> the software. This way the users do not even have to have Mathematica
> on their machines.

That is a great suggestion, though I think I want to keep the solution
within the notebook.  The intended users (other than me), will be
learning Mathematica, so they can generate their own simulations and
reports.  There are some background routines which will be somewhat
common (in this case it is a custom export function), so I wanted to
make it relatively easy to use while they are getting started.

Having said that, there may be other, more routine analyses that we
might want to do which could benefit from a webMathematica type
treatment.

> The downside is you need to install webMathematica on a server, quite
> easy with the latest version, and know about html/forms etc. Not a
> terrible steep curve in my opinion; the pay-off is that there are  lots
> of additional options available to you as you extend your project.

Having a server in this environment is not a problem.  We have servers
for other software right now anyway.

> If you are firmly married to your present approach have you given
> thought to using the Mathematica functions

> Input[ ] and InputString[]

That's a good idea.  Unfortunately, in this particular case it isn't
ideal.  Most of the information is specific to the particular
simulation, so it can be entered once, but then reused as slight
tweaks and optimizations are performed.

Working on this in the interim, I've got it pretty nice right now
using tables. It almost feels like a proper paper form. The only
significant annoyance at the moment is the need to enclose the values
within double quotes, which is more of an aesthetic issue than
anything else. But unless there is a quick and easy workaround, the
slight aesthetic gain will be more than offset by the cost.

Thanks again for the suggestions!