Re: Mathlink

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg64294] Re: Mathlink
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 02:13:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

AFAIK MathLink will work with Borland C/C++ (free Personal edition,
Visual Studio (the free Visual Studio Express Edition
Open Watcom C/C++
compilers. But it will not work with Cygwin and you should try
one of the compilers above -- none  costs money for personal use.

"M. Prabhakar Rao" <mrao1 at> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:dsetls$jgp$1 at
| Hello:
| I have a question regarding MathLink. The basic
idea is to be able to
| access a function written in C via Mathematica.
I followed the procedure
| illustrated in the Mathematica Book. I wrote a
template file for the
| function and used mprep to generate
corresponding .c file. However, when
| I compile this .c file to generate the
executable, I get the following
| error:
| In fuunction 'int _MLMain(char**, char**,
| error: '_fstrncpy' undeclared (first use this
| error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
only once for each function
| it appears in.)
| When I look at the .c file generated by mprep,
the function _fstrncpy is
| declared as follows:
| #if WIN32_MATHLINK && !defined(_fstrncpy)
| #  define _fstrncpy
| #endif
| System Information:
| I am running Mathematica on a laptop under
Windows XP. Since I do not have
| Microsoft Visual Studio, I am using cygwin to
write all my code in C.