Re: Using a text editor like interface for Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64383] Re: [mg64370] Using a text editor like interface for Mathematica?
  • From: "Yasvir A. Tesiram" <tesiramy at omrf.ouhsc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 03:31:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

If you are talking about just writing programs in a package context than
any programmers editor should work for you. I use vim (or gvim) for
writing packages. It recognises Mathematica .m files and will colorcode
accordingly, plus indicate matching parentheses etc. It's basic but
sufficient. I have never used the notebook interface for writing packages,
because such things as escape characters, "->" etc get automagically
translated and it makes editing the package file a chore.
Recently, Wolfram released WolframWorkBench. You can also use Eclipse.
Never tried Emacs, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't.
Direct evaluation via vim is not possible. So you have to either use the
Notebook interface or the command line.

Cheers
Yas