Left Justification in a button

Well, I have tried and tried and I suspect that I am missing something
simple even though I've built lots and lots of front end stuff.  What I
want to do simply is to have the text of a button be left justified.

Here is an example:

CellPrint[Cell[BoxData[
    GridBox[{{ButtonBox["this is text"]}},
      ColumnWidths -> 20]
    ], "Text", FontWeight -> "Bold",
   FontFamily -> "Helvetica"]]

where the result is centered button text.

I haven't been able to find a way to use TextAlignment and its ilk to
make this happen (even in the case where the argument of the ButtonBox
is itself a Cell expression and other gyrations and mystical tricks).

Anyone want to show me that I have missed something simple?  I'd
appreciate that  :-)

Thanks,

David