Re: Noob ? about Transpose and List Operations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63682] Re: Noob ? about Transpose and List Operations
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:48:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Tarah wrote:
> Hi!  I'm trying to transpose a matrix B,
>
> In[61]:=  B' = MatrixForm[Transpose[B]]
>
> and instead of getting the transpose, I get as output the same matrix B with two brackets and the word "Transpose" surrounding it.  This is highly unhelpful ;-)  What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Tarah,

Have you initialized matrix B to anything or is it an "empty" symbol
(compare In/Out[1] against In/Out[2] and [3])?

In[1]:=
B'=MatrixForm[Transpose[B]]

Out[1]//MatrixForm=
Transpose[B]

In[2]:=
(B = {{a, b}, {c, d}})//MatrixForm

Out[2]//MatrixForm=
a   b

c   d

In[3]:=
B'=MatrixForm[Transpose[B]]

Out[3]//MatrixForm=
a   c

b   d

In[4]:=
B'

Out[4]//MatrixForm=
a   c

b   d

Note that it may be better to wrap the *MatrixForm* function around the
assignment rather than putting it inside the assignment.

In[5]:=
MatrixForm[B'=Transpose[B]]

Out[5]//MatrixForm=
a   c