Re: Question - Function Definition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63712] Re: Question - Function Definition
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 04:50:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

actuary at mchsi.com wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm working my way through the text "A Course in Computational Number
> Theory".  A function  in the text is defined in the following manner
> xxx[a_Integer,b_Integer,c_List,d_: Infinity]:= yyyyyyyy.
>
> What does  ":Infinity" do in "d_: Infinity"
>
> Thanks
>
> Larry

Hi Larry,

 From the _The Mathematica Book_, section 2.3.9 "Optional and Default
Arguments":

"Sometimes you may want to set up functions where certain arguments, if
omitted, are given "default values". The pattern x_:v stands for an
object that can be omitted, and if so, will be replaced by the default
value v. (http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/section-2.3.9)"

In your example, d has a default value that will be taken by d if a
value for d is not explicitly entered -- that is you calls the function
with only the first three mandatory parameters -- and that default value
is equal to positive infinity.

Best regards,
/J.M.