Recommended learning exercises for beginners?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63756] Recommended learning exercises for beginners?
  • From: Gareth Russell <russell at njit.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 04:48:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Group,

I am teaching a course (for the third time) using Mathematica to
explore Theoretical Ecology. Students mostly have no prior experience
with Mathematica, so in the first class we look mainly at Mathematica
itself, and I give the students homework designed to get them using it
and learning some of the basics. Do date, I have used a mish-mash of my
own material, but it could certainly be more coherent. So I am
wondering...

Do any of you have recommendations for 'Introduction to Mathematica'
notebooks that have worked well for you (or your students)? I'm
thinking of practice exercises, as well material to study.

If I get a number of responses I'll collate them and repost as a
resource for the group.

Gareth Russell
NJIT