Re: Recommended learning exercises for beginners?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63800] Re: [mg63756] Recommended learning exercises for beginners?
  • From: Clifford Martin <camartin at snet.net>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 02:33:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Why not Nancy Blachman's book or the Gray's  introduction. Nancy's book has lots of good exercises. Sounds perfect  for your audience. They're not notebooks but the price is reasonable.  Also Browns website book has exercises. Dont' remember if it has  notebooks. Good luck,

  Cliff

Gareth Russell <russell at njit.edu> wrote:  Hi Group,

I am teaching a course (for the third time) using Mathematica to
explore Theoretical Ecology. Students mostly have no prior experience
with Mathematica, so in the first class we look mainly at Mathematica
itself, and I give the students homework designed to get them using it
and learning some of the basics. Do date, I have used a mish-mash of my
own material, but it could certainly be more coherent. So I am
wondering...

Do any of you have recommendations for 'Introduction to Mathematica'
notebooks that have worked well for you (or your students)? I'm
thinking of practice exercises, as well material to study.

If I get a number of responses I'll collate them and repost as a
resource for the group.

Gareth Russell
NJIT