Getting identifier names from content MathML of equation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63835] Getting identifier names from content MathML of equation
  • From: Pradeep Suresh <pradeep at purdue.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 02:39:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,
Thank you all so much for responding so promptly to my previous posts
and i must say you guys have pointed me in the right direction every
time. This time i have a more general problem.

Is there a way i can get the variable names(identifier names) from the
MathML of the equation? I notice that all variables are surrounded by
the <ci> </ci> tags so it would be easy to write a piece of code to do
this IF there is no readymade command in mathematica/some parser that
can achieve this, but it would save me some trouble if there was one.
Also, another problem with writing my own piece of code would be
differentiating between local variables and global variables, for e.x.
even the loop variables/summation indices are surrounded by the <ci>
tags in content mathml, but i dont need those, so the question arises,
how do i selectively filter the global variables from the equation
mathml?? any anwers?
Thanks in advance,
Pradeep