Question regarding replacement

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63860] Question regarding replacement
  • From: "michael_chang86 at hotmail.com" <michael_chang86 at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:03:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Often, when manipulating symbolic results, one might want to replace
some symbols with "simpler" expressions, and typically, I've managed
this with "/.".  However, suppose that

In[1]:  a = b c/d

and I know that d/(b c) = theta.  Unfortunately,

In[2]:  params={d/(b c)->theta}; a/.params
does *not* yield 1/theta.  How can I achieve this simply *without*
redefining params?

(This (too) simple example is meant to demonstrate some difficulties
that I typically encounter when trying to replace symbols in *much*
more complicated expressions, where, sometimes, the symbols that I am
trying to replace are inverted ... :(  )

My apologies in advance, since this seems embarassingly simple, but any
help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Michael